Monday, February 1, 2010

Re-Entering the Butler Bubble

(via Luciano Joaquin/Flickr)

This semester is different from everything else I've experienced at Butler.

I'm living in my sorority house for the first time, which is a bigger adjustment than you might think. My closet is in a completely separate place from desk, which is also in a completely separate place from my bed. I don't have my own kitchen, but it does mean I don't have to do the dishes (ftw!).

Until now, Butler has spoiled me: I lived in the residence halls for two years as a RA, so I got a lot of personal space. Even in when I lived in D.C. I only had one roommate, and she was pretty swell. But now, I share my study space with three other girls.

Living in the Capital opened my eyes a more diverse group of people. I have a new respect for work ethic, and for socializing - that includes being flexible and being open to meeting new people all the time (which happens every day in D.C.!)

Professionally, I know it's time to prepare for the real world. But my schedule - 5 classes (three are nightside) and interning 15 hours a week - makes it hard to separate academic pressures from finding time to relax and reflect, let alone apply for jobs.

My personal time with God has suffered. I'm working on finding my quiet time, personal space to spend with him.

Today I hosted a group discussion at the Blue House, where I'm an intern. It was called "How Do I Re-Enter the Butler Bubble?" Ironically, it not only helped other students unpack their out-of-Butler experiences - it was therapeutic for me, too!

I think one of the Butler students explained her experiences best (and this is paraphrasing): It's good to have those experiences to learn who you are when you're by yourself. If you live your life filled with too many activities, all the noise blocks out the quiet time. If you don't have the quiet time, you can't listen to that voice (I call it God) inspire you.

For now, I'm still adjusting to this lifestyle - the syllabi, the disjointed class schedule, the chaos and sisterhood of my sorority house. All of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment