Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"It's SO Christ-Chic"


Tonight's Glee episode went beyond spirit fingers, and reached a whole new level of divinity. It took on a religion/spirituality theme. Among some of the song choices:

  • A moving rendition of "I Want To Hold Your Hand"
  • The surprising inclusion of "Papa, Can You Hear Me?" from the lesser-known Streisand movie "Yentl"
  • Obvious choices: REM's "Losing My Religion" and "What If God Was One Of Us?"

What I enjoyed most was watching all the #glee tweets. Tones across the spectrum of spirituality emerged. Some fans were outraged at the religious theme, while others thought it a refreshing turn from the brash Britney Spears-inspired episode. Still others remarked at the timing of the gay rights v. church debate, especially in light of last week's Tyler Clementi tragedy.

Here are a few tweets I pulled in from TweetChat.com:

Just watched "Glee." What a mature set of statements about religion. - @BrianStelter

Tonight's #Glee has confused me... What religion am I, what do I believe, do I like grilled cheeses? - @stevenfrombb10

Tina: "Last week we were too sexy, this week we're too religious. We can't win." Brittany: "Now I know how Miley feels." #Glee - @xmileyamazingx

Truly amazing episode of #Glee tonight. Very well written ep on a very touchy subject. Never expected that kind of show from#Glee. Thanks. - @longflyball

I do not have words for how atrocious the messaging was on#Glee tonight. #overit - @sionnan

Glee really isn't strictly a comedy and it certainly isn't a drama either... I believe #Glee is a new genre, It's unique and a special show. - @LeaGleeFans

So Kurt is a gaytheist too! Very cool.#glee #atheism #atheist” :: Yayyy us! :] - @seculagaytheist

When #Glee preformed "What If God Was One Of Us" I broke down and cried. And on that note, I'm going to bed noww. Goodnitee and God bless. - @taylorhalise

Glee is exploring the #god complex. is it due to #fox or something else? - @irobyn

I wish there were a separation between church and my TV. #glee #worstepisodeever - @icelandicody

"I don't believe in God, Dad, but I believe in you. " :/#Glee #makemecry - @nicoleelkington


2 comments:

Corin said...

I think one of my favorite parts of this episode was Puck's speech right before he sang Billy Joel. I don't really believe in God, but if I did I like his take on it. The idea that you should celebrate him through how you live versus just praying.

Unknown said...

My favorite part was when Mercedes invited Kurt to church & she sang 'Trouble over Bridges'. Church should be welcoming of all people but sometimes I wonder if people see Church in different perspective.

Post a Comment